Living in two worlds

Being a master student now is quite different with my student life back in 1980. The main reason for the difference as I experience it is the feeling of a ‘double life’ in the recent situation. After being the owner of a communication consultancy for almost twenty years it is a new experience to be back at school for 3 days a week, having lots of homework and regular assignments and I also want to keep an eye on the running business. I’m really happy & blessed that I found a loyal & very trusting friend & colleague who is taking the business lead for the next 12 months. But although we agreed on this is it difficult for me at this stage to disconnect. However being hooked at my communication office & work and taking the warnings from the teachers and old Master students (about the heavy study load) seriously I see it as a personal challenge to keep things in a healthy balance.
For me there is a third important aspect to deal with and that is a good balance between private life next to study and the ongoing business. Back in the 1989 my only ‘concern’ was having a great learning time with a enthusiastic group of student-friends and a nice room in an enjoyable student house. Now I travel by train between Nijmegen and Breda which also is time consuming. Although this is only my third week at the University it is very expiring being here. Seeing new and also welcoming old teachers from the previous NWIT period is great. So far they are all very engaged to this unique master concept. The study material in English is another challenge. Due to the fact that we have to read at least 15 academic articles per week (besides study books) my list of new English words is growing day after day and so is my understanding of the language. Besides the international character of the class I do appreciate this aspect of this international Master class very much. So far so good.

0 comments: